Activity 2 (One 50-minute classes)
- Review previous day’s introduction (Activity 1).
- Read pg. 143 Workshop 11 from School Newspaper Advisor’s Survival Guide together. As a class, complete pages 144-5 to model and practice identifying 5 W’s in a lead. Answer any questions students may be confused about.
- Count off students by an even number of As and Bs. Each student should partner with someone from the other group: an A pairs with a B. Give As a news article from a local paper and give Bs a different article.
- Individually, students will read their articles and make a list on a separate sheet on paper of the who, what, where, when, and why of their story.
- Students from Group A will switch that list with their partners from Group B so they have only the list of the 5 W’s. They will then write a lead of no longer than 30 words based on the list in front of them and without seeing the original article. Remind them to make it interesting.
- Once students are finished, they will read their leads to their partners. Then they should compare their leads with the professional articles.
- Students volunteers will read their leads to the class as professional leads are shown on an overhead. Class will discuss the differences in how the same information can be written as well as quality of each lead.
- Homework: Revise personal leads.